How Criminal Defendants Can Help Themselves
Anyone who is facing criminal charges can attest to the fact that it is a frightening, unpredictable, and intimidating experience. Sometimes the accused are so off balance due to their situation that they make foolish mistakes that put their futures in peril. If you are charged with criminal activity, you should know that you have the power to help—or hurt—your own case.
- Don’t leave your fate to chance. You need an experienced attorney who will give you the straight skinny. An attorney who promises you that your problems are going to evaporate as soon as they collect their retainer probably shouldn’t be trusted. Instead, look for someone who will be honest, fair, and aggressive. Integrity should be non-negotiable. Then, adhere to their advice without fail.
- Stay mum. That’s right: refrain from any discussion of your case, your theories, potential suspects, motives, or opportunities. Don’t provide your side of the story, your alibi, or your explanations for anything related to the crime. Don’t talk during your interrogation—except to supply your name and to request your attorney. When you’re behind bars, don’t talk about your case with your cellie or other inmates. Who knows how they might benefit by sharing, or even embellishing what they hear. Most definitely, do not discuss the case on the prison phones! Those calls are being recorded more likely than not.
- Be aware of the ways prosecutors can make things bad for you. Are there incriminating posts or pictures on social media? Have you sent texts or emails that make you look bad?
- Never try to run from charges. It just doesn’t work and serves only to make you look guilty. During trial, the prosecution will have an easier time demonstrating your consciousness of guilt; after all, what innocent person would try to take off?
- Never resist arrest, even if you’re 100 percent innocent, even if police are being unnecessarily gruff, even if you truly believe your rights are being violated. Comply with officers’ requests, keep your hands visible, and you’ll have the opportunity to fight back down the road in a court of law with a qualified criminal defense lawyer by your side.
Fighting for Best Outcomes
At the Law Office of Hammad S. Matin, P.A., our knowledgeable La Plata & Waldorf criminal defense attorneys are committed to advocating on your behalf. We take your rights seriously, and believe in the Constitutional promise of legal representation for any defendant. Contact our office for a confidential consultation today.